March 30, 2015 - wanderwizard
Lansdowne Expereince – A Weekend Getaway from Delhi
En route Lansdowne twists and turns,
En route Lansdowne chills and burns.
The days are so beautiful they make you weepy,
The nights are so calm that they get creepy.
A puddle of thoughts of love and heartbreaks,
A getaway to Lansdowne is all that it takes.
This post is different from others just like the destination under focus.
There are two kinds of people in this world – those who can spend months in Lansdowne and those who will get bored in a day. Lansdowne makes you believe that all hill stations in India are not the same. This archaic place doesn’t have the traditional Mall Road or adventure treks to some water spring or a crowded market with horse shit and litter everywhere. No, Lansdowne is something else.
This is a place for those who are fond of nature walks and silent nights. Lansdowne is about trees where birds are chirping, clean paths where fallen leaves are resting; and antique buildings where stories keep the old times alive. Here are a few general suggestions if you are travelling to Lansdowne:
- Carry snacks.
- If you are prone to motion sickness then don’t forget to pack your medicine.
- Do a weather check and pack your clothes and other stuff like umbrellas accordingly.
- Carry a pair of sports shoes.
- There would be signal problems so you would be isolated from the rest of the world.
- Other things that you can pack- a nice book, football or bat and ball.
- Take your car or hire one. The roads are tricky so you need to have an expert driver.
- Carry cash – You might not wish to walk 3 Kms to get to the ATM.
Staying suggestions in Lansdowne:
- GMVN Tip in Top: Machan huts or Family suits are the best because of their amazing location and delicious food.
- Fairydale Resort: Comfortable and good service.
- Blue Pine Resort or Kasang Regency: Unlike Tip in Top, these resorts lie right at the base of Lansdowne. If you have special requests like DJ for the night, then go with these resorts.
- Lans Castle: Newly constructed but not the best location.
Place to see in Lansdowne:
- Tarakeshwar Temple: About 37 Kms from Lansdowne.
- Tip n Top Point
- Santoshi Mata Temple
- St. Mary’s Church
- St. John’s Church
- Bhulla Lake
- Bhim Pakora
- Supposedly Haunted Places: Bungalow Number 18 and Kaleshwar Mahadev Temple.
- And well, no matter where you walk in this cantonment area, the spot just becomes one of the places to see in Lansdowne.