February 11, 2015 - wanderwizard
Little Facts every London Tourist must know
- You can get 1 + 1 passes for almost anything in London – Madam Tussauds, Lord’s Stadium tour, London Eye etc. The only catch here is that your online downloaded coupon won’t be valid unless you show a National Rail Ticket along with it. So, instead of buying an Underground Day Pass, buy a National Rail Ticket from the relevant stations.
- There is a tube station “Southwark”; but they pronounce it “suhthukk”. Don’t call it “south-wark” or the Brit will look at you as if you’ve asked for his/her kidney.
- Markets and coffee shops closing time is infuriatingly early. Everything except pubs shuts down at 5 pm on Sundays. On the weekdays (+ Saturday), most of the coffee shops and clothing stores are open till 6-7 pm; oxford street and malls are open till 9-ish.
- There is a concept of Driverless trains on a few tracks – Docklands Light railway (DLR). Sitting on the front seat of a train is a unique experience. DLR runs on the route of Greenwich, Cutty Sark and Canary Wharf.
- And Greenwich is pronounced as “grenitch”.
- You will pay on an average 20p on your every visit to a public toilet. So, if you find free service anywhere, just grab the opportunity.
- London weather is very unpredictable. Make plans only after you have done weather check for the day. It might be all sunny and happy in the morning, and raining cats and dogs by evening.
- Londoners have this habit of asking “You alright, mate?” This doesn’t mean you look zonked or ill or shabby. It is their style of greeting or smiling :P. Do not run around looking for the nearest mirror.
Check out Uncustomary Things to do in London for places to visit in London.